no previous knowledge required
Open for bachelor and master students
After active participation in the module, students will be able to apply advanced concepts of soft matter and biological physics to understand and quantify fundamental concepts as well as to develop according theoretical frameworks.
The lecture will address highly relevant and advanced topics of the field of soft matter and biological physics.
The following topics will be covered:
- Natural and synthetic semiflexible polymers (cytoskeleton & DNA nanotechnology)
- Statics and dynamics of networks/bundles of semiflexible polymers
- Non-affine & non-linear behaviors in soft matter
- Jamming transitions & glass-like behavior
- Non-equilibrium fluctuations
- Equilibrium self-assembly vs. non-equilibrium self-organization
- Molecular motors & self-propelled particles
- Active soft matter (active actin structures & cells)
- Material properties in the development of tissues
- Physics of cancer
Seminar: Students will actively participate, e.g. giving talks or design posters about recent developments in the field..